Bayern confirm that Milan want Sanches
Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummenigge has confirmed that AC Milan are interested in signing young midfielder Renato Sanches.
The teenage winger had a breakout season in 2015/16, starring for Primeira Liga champions Benfica before also impressing for Portugal in their Euro 2016 victory.
During that time Sanches was linked with most of Europe's top clubs, and it was Bayern that won the race to sign him to a five-year, big-money deal.
But Sanches has struggled to maintain his career trajectory in Germany, making 17 Bundesliga appearances without scoring, and Milan are now eager to lure him to Italy.
"I can confirm that AC Milan has an interest in Renato Sanches," Rummenigge told reporters.
"I have the impression that AC Milan is not ready to meet our economic demands, and as long [as that is the case] nothing will be done."
Although Rummenigge believes that the Rossoneri don’t have the funds to push through a deal, their activity in the transfer window so far suggests otherwise.
Milan have been revamping their squad this offseason with the signings of Mateo Musacchio, Ricardo Rodriguez, Andre Silva, Hakan Calhanoglu, Andrea Conti, Lucas Biglia, and Leonardo Bonucci, amongst others.
With such exciting players already arriving at San Siro, Milan’s ambition to overhaul their squad is clear, but it remains to be seen if they have the financial clout to prize Portugal’s most exciting teenager away from the German champions.
- Hammers strike loan deal for Hart
- BVB: Aubameyang window is closed
- Spurs tie down Trippier to long-term deal
- Ancelotti: James to add quality, not replace anyone
- Mourinho hails 'top striker' Lukaku
- Leicester must make do without Huth
- Totti returns to Roma in director role
- Juve closing in on Szczesny
- Van Ginkel returns to PSV
- Sterling: Man City must fight for silverware