'Hulkenberg is the perfect fit'
According to Renault Sport Racing chairman Jerome Stoll, Nico Hulkenberg will fit in perfectly to the French manufacturer’s set up going into the new season.
With the aim of challenging for podiums in 2017, Renault are determined to rekindle their previous success and have set targets for themselves in order to join the conversation at the top-end of the grid.
Hulkenberg, who won the prestigious 24 hours of Le Mans, has a had a decent career in Formula 1 so far, but has yet to stand on the podium as of yet.
"This year will be the second season of Groupe Renault’s return as a manufacturer entry in Formula 1 and the next step in our journey,” explained Stoll.
"Last season was about putting the foundations in place for future success. For our next step we required an experienced driver who is still hungry for podiums.
"Nico Hülkenberg fulfils this role perfectly and is an excellent complement to what we want to achieve. He is a highly talented, dedicated and motivated driver.
"Nico will enable us to harness all the hard work completed last season and translate it to improved results on the track in 2017 and beyond.
"We look forward to seeing him in our new car for 2017."
More Motor Racing
- Williams: Bottas closing in on Mercedes deal
- Ricciardo expects 'hard and fair' battles with Max
- Boullier pragmatic as McLaren dream of winning
- Verstappen ready to be a Champion
- Only a week remaining to save Manor
- Zetsche's first thought: Not Lewis again
- Gutierrez to take on Formula E
- 'F1 in 2000s was better than boring Prost/Senna era'
- Ecclestone: Silverstone should stop complaining