R21.1 million stuffed in luggage - Bloem
Two men were caught attempting to smuggle more than R21.1 million stuffed into travel bags on Valentines Day.
Hawks stopped the men at Bloemfontein airport before they boarded a plane.
Police Captain Philani Nkwalase said; "The Hawks‚ along with the police‚ swiftly acted on information about the duo [who] had four big travelling bags full of cash. They were intercepted before catching a flight to Cape Town".
"Preliminary investigations revealed that they drove from Durban to Bloemfontein prior to their arrest", said Nkwalase.
"Furthermore‚ it was established that Baig had a previous conviction for possession of dagga in 2010."
Police believe that the cash is linked to crime.
Baig Mahomed, 20, and 50-year-old Mahomed Hoosen appeared in the Bloemfontein Magistrate's Court on Thursday.
The matter has been postponed to February 21.
More News South Africa
- AKA and Bonang have split
- Zille outlines plan to deal with water shortage
- Stats SA helps singles find love
- Hawks bust a fourth in vehicle licensing scam
- Public protector office probes City Power
- The impact of Pinterest on copyright laws
- Police publicly strip-search boy, 12
- South African animation the biggest winner at Kidscreen Awards
- Three TUT campuses closed
- Three Blöchliger-accused face theft charges in court