Hawks bust a fourth in vehicle licensing scam
The Hawks Anti-Corruption Unit arrested a fourth suspect in connection with a vehicle licensing scheme involving participants living in the Western and Northern Cape.
The fourth suspect, Laurelle Richards (35) appeared in the Bellville Magistrate’s Court on Thursday with her three co-accused, Bronwyn Davids (29), Elton Abrahams (33) and Thembile Daphula (47).
The quartet face charges relating to fraud, corruption, money laundering and racketeering. They allegedly ran an illegal vehicle licensing and police clearance scam. Abrahams and Dabula were arrested in November last year in Belhar and De Aar respectively. Police seized millions of rand in cash as well as evidentiary proof during Abrahams' arrest.
The case has been postponed until May 25, 2017. The investigation is continuing and police are not ruling out additional arrests.
More News South Africa
- Province receives measles vaccination
- Another postponement for Blochliger case
- Zuma launches newly revamped immigration facility
- AKA and Bonang have split
- Zille outlines plan to deal with water shortage
- Stats SA helps singles find love
- Public protector office probes City Power
- The impact of Pinterest on copyright laws
- Police publicly strip-search boy, 12
- South African animation the biggest winner at Kidscreen Awards