Disney will not take out 'gay scene' for Malaysia
The Walt Disney Company, popularly known as Disney, has decided to not release the upcoming film, Beauty and the Beast, in Malaysia.
Disney made the decision to not release the film completely rather than cutting out the four-minute gay scene in the film.
"The film has not and will not be cut for Malaysia," Disney said in a statement.
Golden Screen Cinemas, the largest theatre in Malaysia, said that they will be refunding all of the people who have already bought tickets to see the film.
Earlier this month, the Russian government said that due to the fact that there is a gay character, Le Fou, in the film children under the age of 16 will not be allowed to go and see it.
In a statement released by the Russian Culture Ministry to the Associated Press, the decision was made following a petition by Russian MP Vitaly Milonov.
Milonov allegedly petitioned for the film to be banned completely, calling the entire production "a blatant, shameless propaganda of sin and perverted sexual relationships."
- Disney film to be released in Malaysia with no cuts
- Richard Hammond is doing fine following motorbike crash
- No 'snub here'! Bucie is getting money, honey!
- Black Coffee features on Drake's new playlist, More Life
- The Johannesburg International Comedy Festival is back!
- Footballer thanks his wife, and his girlfriend
- Mazda-inspired perfume wins gold at iF Design Award
- Morag Steyn set to host make-up master classes
- Kendall Jenner's home robbed